GIP-46: Alphaday - Data Aggregator Dashboard for the Goldfinch Community

Authors : Mike-Alphaday

Summary :
Alphaday builds crypto experience dashboards for enthusiasts, developers, and projects. Users can drag and drop from hundreds of services, news and social feeds, charts, and dapp functionality to create their daily workflows inside a single dashboard. This eliminates the need to have multiple browser tabs open to get different bits of information. i.e. imagine having token prices, gas prices, twitter feed, latest news headlines, TVL, borrowing rates and any other information any user could possibly want all within one single dashboard.

Motivation :
Crypto has exploded in popularity over the last 4-5 years and there is so much going on that it’s almost impossible to keep up with everything. Our user research showed that users are overwhelmed with information and spend a lot of time jumping from one news source to another, from one social site to another, and usually have dozens of tabs open to stay up to date with everything happening in a community.

Specification & Requirements :
We would like to create a Goldfinch ecosystem dashboard that aggregates the following information into a single community dashboard:

• The latest Goldfinch official announcements and blog post content.
  • A feed of all news mentions of Goldfinch from coindesk, cointelegraph and 20+ other news sources aggregated from across the internet.
  • A calendar containing all Goldfinch events including Goldfinch Proposal votes, meetups, hackathons with Goldfinch bounties, AMAs.
  • Podcast feed containing the latest appearances and interviews given by Goldfinch team members.
  • Youtube stream containing educational Goldfinch content.
  • Goldfinch Developer Docs directory.
  • Integration with Goldfinch Forum to show the latest and trending discussion topics.
  • Discord, Telegram, & Twitter Integration to show a feed of latest discussions.
  • FAQ, Whitepaper, GFI tokenomics information.
  • Goldfinch Careers integration to show the latest open jobs listed on Goldfinch.
  • Goldfinch metrics including TVL, repayment volume and other metrics pulled in from Dune Analytics and/or Defillama.
  • A widget featuring the Goldfinch roadmap with all the descriptions and links included.
  • Links and descriptions of services offered within the Goldfinch ecosystem.

Budget Breakdown:
1,000 USD upfront costs for development including integrating the discussion forums, blog post, social feed, jobs listing, TVL and other on-chain metrics.

100 USD per month for 12 months for maintenance including having an Alphaday content analyst quality-checking the dashboard every day and ensuring the Calendar widget is up-to-date with latest Goldfinch events, all news mentions across the internet are captured by the dashboard, any updates not automatically captured by the Alphaday aggregator engine is manually added to the board, and other maintenance tasks.

Total budget requested: 2,200 USD

Benefits :
We’ve done market research on users and currently people’s regular crypto workflows consist of jumping from one browser tab to another to check prices, read news, follow twitter, participate in discussions. A typical crypto user will have 6 to 10 open tabs at any given time and people have referred to Alphaday as the ‘tab killer’ because all the information you’d need across all your different tabs is available in Alphaday. In this sense, we do not have any direct competitor that can provide 50 different types of services and functionality within one dashboard.

Having said that, the Alphaday dashboard aims to generate user engagement & retention from the project’s perspective, as well as convenience (through saving time) from a user’s perspective.

Downside :
Building the Alphaday infrastructure was not easy as we pull so many different types of data from different sources. It took a team of 4 developers over a year building the engine that can pull the data, analyze it, and categorize and contextualize the data (i.e. understanding different crypto concepts like NFTs, DeFi, Staking) so that users can find it easier to navigate through all the information.
Now that it’s built, deployment risks are significantly reduced but there is always the risk that data sources and APIs will change and we will need to keep updating and maintaining these data sources.

Voting :
If voted ‘yes’ we will be communicating with the Goldfinch team to create the most fitting layout that serves the community. The dashboard will be ready within 2 months.

Rationale
If we get a grant we will start working on the board immediately and we should have it ready within 2 months. Once we’ve launched the board, we will do user interviews and feedback sessions to tune the dashboard. We will continue this process of iterating, deploying, and collecting feedback continuously to build a dashboard that Goldfinch stakeholders truly love to use.

Furthermore, once we’ve created a Goldfinch dashboard, we will promote this across the Goldfinch community and start collecting feedback so that we can keep iterating and improving our dashboard. For us success is if a large number of Goldfinch stakeholders come to the Goldfinch dashboard to stay up to date with everything happening within Goldfinch and then use the available data as jumping off points into the various parts of the Goldfinch ecosystem. i.e. GFI holders using the board to finding trending governance topics to participate in, devs using the resource library to dive deeper into the technical documents, newcomers listening to the latest podcasts and exploring open job positions at Goldfinch.

In terms of concrete numbers, considering Goldfinch has 51K twitter followers and using this as a very crude proxy for community size, we would consider it a success if we could serve at least 2% of them on a monthly basis (1.01K MAU).

The grant work will result in a dashboard dedicated to serving the Goldfinch community by aggregating all relevant information about Goldfinch including media communities, on-chain metrics, Goldfinch docs, Goldfinch tokenomics into one place. Our desired outcome is to provide a new end-point for community engagement and to bolster Goldfinch’s outreach.

Resources :
Live Product: https://app.alphaday.com/
Landing Page: https://alphaday.com/

Pitch Deck: https://bit.ly/Alphadaydeck

Contact Email: deniz@alphaday.com

Hey @Mike-Alphaday!

Thank you very much for wrapping this up. However, I’m hesitating to support this proposal as we used to have more or less the same one a while ago and it cost nothing to our commumity. Please, for more details refer to GIP-22.

I cannot see any big difference between statistics on Dune charts and yours either. But Dune charts are also absolutely free for everyone.

Hello. I think this idea should be put on hold for a while. After all, now, if you look at the discord, then there are very few activities. Even if you create it, I don’t think more people will be interested in Goldfinch just because of it. I think it’s a good idea, but not now and not in this market! I think in about half a year you can try to implement it.

I do not support this propositions. I believe that many of the summary statistics about the protocol already exist via free tools (e.g. Dune) and I don’t see lack of an aggregated site as a blocker to user experience at the moment. I also believe any reporting tool for our protocol should be able to show data on the real-world loans, rather than just on-chain metrics. Based on the pilot showcased, I don’t think the product is a fit for the protocol at the moment

“create dashboard” ? First of all, you need to attract users … What data to collect if there is no interest in the product

I’m ready to support this proposal, but it seems to me that there is low real-time user activity.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will not support because I do not see the point in this at this stage in the development of the project.

Dear @Mike-Alphaday!

I’m sorry to inform you that after 7 days of discussion your proposal hasn’t reached a rough consensus. Hence, we cannot proceed it further to snapshot voting according to Goldfinch Governance Guide

Perhaps this dashboard would be handy in the future as the Goldfinch community grows and the market is bullish.
I cannot say that at this point in time, the development and implementation of an information panel is appropriate. In addition, as mentioned above, most of these data are available in a fairly convenient form.
In my opinion, this issue should be considered again in about a year (along with an increase in market activity).

Hello @RP2743 ,

Thank you for the opportunity. Perhaps in the future, if conditions differ.